exaggeration and tall tales galore

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I came up with a post title but then decided it sounded too bloody jiwang

Today, for the second time, I noticed how coffee makes me happy. and not just in a figurative sense either, but seriously. i think there was a biological effect, as a result of an addiction I've cultivated for it.

For one thing, I was feeling quite disgruntled this afternoon. The causes of the disgruntlement were trivial of course, but nonetheless, I was trudging off from my Business Process Analysis class (do you know what this is about? me neither. I barely understand what it really is for even though this is the third week of the semester) in an un-bunny-prancing-happily way. I spent about an hour doing homework while waiting for my next lecture, and then, as I headed for the lecture theater, I decided to grab a cup of coffee first.

Ah!The joy of holding a warm cup of coffee(cappuccino, one sugar) in your hand while you trudge to class on a semi-cloudy winter's day! The most excitement I had all day.

Unless you consider walking to class in the rain clutching your umbrella and praying that the wind won't blow it upwards and turn it into a rain-catcher like last time exciting. I call it nerve-wrecking.

Anyway, I got to the theater, spotted a friend and soon got seated, all the while taking sips of the lovely nectar. Flash forward about 20 minutes later into the lecture, I was HAPPY. All disgruntlement forgotten, I was happily thinking about cupcakes, birthday cards and optimistic plans to socialize.

What was I doing thinking about cupcakes during an accounting lecture, you ask?(or don't ask, whatever). ntahlah. I have no idea. Gah. and here I am wondering why I'm finding our tute work so troublesome. Tulah Atiqah, fikir lagi pasal cupcakes. Bagaimana anda hendak menjadi pelajar yang bijak dan berhemah?

Anyway, the point is, that was the second time I noticed that drinking coffee made me feel a whole lot more cheerful. I suspect I'm properly addicted to it. Well, I concede that I've always needed a cup in the mornings, but that was because it jolted me awake and had me all bright-eyed and blinking. It never made me happy.

I googled to see if coffee's been known to cause happiness, and I came across this site that said it stimulates dopamine, a hormone apparently related to happy feelings. So I wiki-ed dopamine (not the best of references, but oh-so-handy), and! and! it says, among other things, that

Dopamine is commonly associated with the pleasure system of the brain, providing feelings of enjoyment and reinforcement to motivate a person proactively to perform certain activities. Dopamine is released (in particular areas....) by naturally rewarding experiences such as food, sex, drugs, and neutral stimuli that become associated with them.

Hah-ha! see? I think that happened. I had coffee, I felt happy. My brain/body now associates an intake of coffee with the release of dopamine. And before you ask, no, i didn't have sex,or take drugs, or recall any particular neutral stimuli during my accounting lecture. So i think we can pretty much pin it on the coffee.

Aisy. or maybe it was merely one of those weird things that just happen. no chemical reactions involved.

Little bunny foo foo,
Hopped into the forest,
Scooping up the field mice
and kissing them on the head.

haha. nasib baik kakak taught me this delightful song(nursery ryhme?)

oh!oh! feel good song. Go, be off and feel all warm and fuzzy!
God Only Knows - THE BEACH BOYS

edit: la hai, i checked the post and saw there was actually 3 different play thingies all for the same song. haish. over-excited

6 comments:

whilewhiting said...

i'd like to add up one more thing consumable and can make you happy,

chocolates!!! especially dark chocs. i dunno why i kind of into them right now but try it. and in fact it isn't fattening or anything that sort as the rumors follows.

anyway, if that makes you feel any better, im here too are struggling with weekly assignments for few subjects and tones of new crappy stuff to catch up.

wud luv to join you guys on saturday but will see how things progress with me this remaining weekdays okay. :)

mostlyepiphanies said...

Ah the joy of coffee! I indulge every once in a while. But I mostly like hot chocolate.

Hey there's this one coffee booth that gives out free coffee for the whole week this week! But I haven't been to the booth since everyone is lining up there all the time!

Anyways hope all is well. i'm barely breathing what with the excessive workload I have to put up with.

Anonymous said...

hey anna,

i kinda like dark chocs too but the good ones are very very expensive.
since summer started, for that matter, i stopped drinking coffee.

coffee is a very an orang putih thing , so during school times coffee is mandatory.
come exam season, it became worse, i could have like 3 cups a day.
( although still sleeping at 9.30 )

but nowadays, i slowed down because i'm not exactly needing motivation, i need soothing. like green tea.

thank god when school starts its fasting time, i'm hindered from being involved in coffee overdrive

A said...

anna:whoaaaaah. dark chocolate ah? fuyo. i've never actually fancied dark chocolates, but i know some people dig it. and yeah, it probably IS less fattening, without the milk and such.

aaaaaaaack. my assignment 1 season pun about to start.

annnaaaaa.mari bersosiaaaaaal. haha.

aijud:hot chocolate! a good cup of that is pretty delightful too.

free coffee!!

gah. hope you're coping with your workload. so far i'm scrambling along, but assignments are creeping up :(

nani: haha, it IS an orang putih thing. kita? teh susu. milo.

out of topic: i've never tried neslo. i wonder if it's any good.

green tea! my parents dig that. along with chinese tea. doesn't really taste of anything, in my opinion.

Kero Ong said...

mmmmmmmm coffee♥ but im more of a chocolate person la i think. and my cravings are expensive ):

adui the rhyme is so cute. foo foo reminds me of 'my pal foot foot' by the shaggs hahahaha.

lectures! assignments! i shall enjoy my secondary school years while they last :P

A said...

whoah. kero!

i had no idea who the shaggs were, much less the song 'my pal foot foot', so i looked them up, and i listened to the song,and...whoah.

i mean.

like.

it's so..

haha, it's pretty indescribable.

and the funny thing is, i have no idea whether i find it horrible, or freakishly appealing.