exaggeration and tall tales galore

Monday, January 01, 2007

Contemplation

So there you go. Another year gone. Right. I suppose i'm obliged to say how quick time has passed and note down what my resolutions are and hope for a better, more prosperous new year. The general cliches and all that jazz. But oh well.
How did I spend new year's eve? well, lets see. I spent the morning and the afternoon helping my mom entertain our many relatives for raye haji. So my day was spent pretty much doing that. And just now, during the final hours of 2006, i spent them lazing on the couch with my little brother sprawled on me (note that i said ON, not beside) watching CSI miami. I was chatting with 9 a couple days ago, and when he heard i had no plans for new year's eve, he said i was lame because i(still) had no social life.
Well, that may be true, but i'll tell you this much. As the clock struck 12 and everyone on tv started screaming, my dad, my brother and I went outside to see the fireworks display(courtesy of Mr Goh from two houses down). When that was done, we went back inside, where my dad gave my brother and me big new year hugs(mom was asleep already, she doesn't believe in curtailing her sleeping pattern for new year celebrations, heh). After that, i grabbed a glass of juice and went upstairs to my room, but not before stepping out on to the balcony. Mr Goh's fireworks were over, but not everyone elsewhere were done! Standing at the balcony, i could make out 2 major fireworks displays from different places in the distance, and i could hear a third coming from a different direction. It was kind of awesome actually, the combined noises sounded like thunder and gunfire put together.
I grabbed my camera and started taking pics of the sparks. And as i was taking them, i contemplated what 2006 had brought me, and pondered what 2007 will bring.
I don't believe in making resolutions. I don't feel any spark of renewed vigour or enthusiasm in conjuction with the new year. Nothing will have changed, except for the fact i'll have to start reminding myself to write 7 at the end of the date instead of 6.
But what i DO know is that i am thankful for having ended the year with my health, with all of my family members safe, and with nothing actually major to complain about(what is sholarship rejection compared to REAL problems, like cancer, or poverty, or the death of a loved one?). And i am thankful for the fact that maybe, just maybe, the year i change into a better person has finally arrived.
Happy new year, everyone. And selamat hari raya haji too.

7 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

I was back from kampung last night on new years eve.I had no plans either for new year

I watched star wars episode 3 and felt sad bcoz anakin turned to the dark side and becoz all the jedi masters were easily killed by clone troops.I mean seriously,their jedi masters for crying out loud!

Before turning in,I still managed to see the fireworks from the attic,and I also hoped 2007 would be a better one.

Beautiful post.very.

All the best for 07!

A said...

i didn't watch star wars for that exact reason. i didn't want to see the part where all the jedi masters are caught unaware and get killed. plus, if i'm not mistaken, anakin kills all the kanak2 jedi in training kan? hoh. but i'm going to stay tuned to star movies next sunday to watch the older star wars movies. i've yet to see them. i want to see chewybacca in action! heh

hope u have an awesome 2007. at any rate, at least u noe it's going to guarantee u new experiences and major changes, what with u going to aussie n all. sigh. still can't believe u n anna dah nak pegi dah!!

the curious cat said...

so inspiring. *hug*
happy new year, lil sister!

A said...

hugs to u too kak. bonne anee 2007! (that's french). can YOU say happy new year in spanish? :p

Anonymous said...

happy new year ateqs, may this year will be better the than previous year. hai "Ateqs punye kakak"

Anonymous said...

my new year was spent admriring at the process how a live cow disembelih and end up in my dinner plate.only the head and the panchreas survived, everything( usus, perut,kaki, lidah,paru-paru,ape lagi?) end up as food.

the process of cleaning the stomach ( yg ade empat tuh)was all full of chewed grass.( sungai tukar kaler jd hijau)

oh yeah. get to watch how they cut off the main ingredient of sup torpedo ( image of organ still merah2 and blood coming out)before they slice it, simmer it , and eat it in a nice smelling broth. iyyeeeeeek.

A said...

nain: happy new year, hope you have a good year too.

nani:ah, thank you for the very... vivid description of the sembelih. thank you.

(can u detect the sarcasm between the words? heh :p). what's sup torpedo anyway? i've never heard of it before.