exaggeration and tall tales galore

Friday, April 27, 2007

let's talk tunes

when i was younger, i used to find it embarassing to admitt to my sister that i liked hilary duff's 'so yesterday'.

Some people who are into rock scorn people who listen to pop(no kakak, not you :p). Some people admonish others who go crazy over top 40 hits and think its better to listen to unmainstream music. well, that's all bollocks, i think. it's almost inevitable to like pop, simply because pop it's an abso-freakin-lutely humongous genre. And what should it matter whether a song is mainstream or unmainstream?

But wait, let's evaluate here. There IS a good reason why some people would scorn pop. There was this one time in GP class, we were discussing music, and my teacher was mentioning how some portions of pop music can often be a bit too simple, and quite empty-headed in terms or lyrics. I agree. I recently heard the new song by Vanessa Hudgens, which had lyrics like these:

When you call I don't know if I should pick up the phone every time,
I'm not like all my friends who keep calling up the boys, I'm so shy


BWAHAHAHA, who makes up this stuff? it's bad, and i bet they used it only because they couldn't find any better line to rhyme with the first one. And of course, you have Paris Hilton, whose music is mostly made up of synthesised studio alterations built around her, ahem, voice. Yeah, well.

You know who i think is a perfectly adequate example of quality pop? Mariah Carey(or is she r&b, i don't know). I personally think the 'Emancipation of Mimi' album should have won more Grammys. Oh, have you listened to the song 'Breakdown' from her old album? That song alone accounts for why i have her listed under my most played artists list.

One of my pet peeves concerning songs is when people who don't actually have a good voice sing songs that i like. Prime contoh? cassie(ala, yang nyanyi lagu 'me and you' tu). I don't like that me and you song, but i do dig 'long way to go'. It's catchy, nice beat. could do with better lyrics, though. anyways, the song is ok, but she can't sing! She keeps in tune, yes, but her voice is so weak, i don't understand. is she sengaje tak nak show off her vocal capabilites or is it that she really can't sing powerfully? Why did they sign her up in the first place? Sebab die lawa, is it? Bleargh.

I have more respect for people who write their own songs, but then again, if we only depend on artists to write their own songs, who will sing the nice songs songwriters who can't sing come up with,ey? yeah.

Oh, and about the whole mainstream thing, i think there is a certain appeal to listening to unmainstream music. for one thing, there's a whole bunch of superb songs out there that you probably won't find on the radio and have to look for yourself, so when you find one, it's extra nice, a personal treasure. And it's twice as fun when you find another person who knows the song too. Mainstream music can get annoying when a song you like becomes a song everyone adores and becomes the most overplayed song on the radio until whenever you hear it, you run away screaming. yeah. but really, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, does it. if you like it, then listen to it. habis cerite.

I was, and probably still am, a bit of a teeny-bopper. After the disaster that was Beyonce's 'Dangerously in Love', my teeny-bopperism fell a bit, i guess. but still. you'll catch me crooning along to Jojo whenever it comes on the radio. But please, don't confuse me with someone who will sing along with Akon and ask people to smack that or do tai bo or whatever. I despise that song. or any song by Akon, for that matter. but that's just my opinion.

oh,oh! and what about the whole malaysian music versus indonesian music thingie? hot fm was criticized once for playing too much music from indonesian artists rather than malaysian ones. hmm. well, all i can say is, indonesian bands have better videos. i'm not a fan of the drippy malay band songs with the singer singing in the really, REALLY whiny voice moaning about lost love and the video always shows them kat tgh2 padang or tempat berpasir and all the other members look like their playing their instruments semi-comatose or what. How come local music videos(save for a handful) usually have dreadful quality that makes it look so tacky? is it that we can't afford it or what?

Yeah,well. whatever. just listen to whatever you want to, ok? don't be intimidated by other peoples' musical preferences, and don't let other peoples' opinion of what constitutes 'good music' deter you from liking any song whatsoever. i'm saying this as a reminder to myself too, go figure.

well anyhoo, i am currently crazy over this song. the yeah yeah yeahs are cool. a bit weird.

8 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

speaking of music,I must say as of late i'm beginning to dig country/folk music.Interesting.Maybe Its because loads of country songs have very nice lyrics and simple,mellifluous,funky,get-up-and-groove like-the-old-people kind of melody.

yay country!

aman23 said...

haha your entries are like GP essays themselves. :p

as for me, the 'pop' songs that I don't like are modern pop and modern R&B with really really crappy musical composition and lyrics.

my pet peeve would be people who bank in on flash popularity and then disappear after releasing one measly album.

aman23 said...

and I agree about your appeal of 'unmainstream' music. it's cool when you introduce a song to a person who has never even heard of it. haha.

and a song doesn't have to have intricate guitar solos or whatever when I mean by good composition. it can be made out of repetitious riffs like Nirvana songs or punk rock songs, but it's the lyrics that capture the crowd.

it's all about music appreciation. haha.

A said...

aijud:ooh, country? my knowledge of country songs is limited, but if you like it, rock on then. i like southern accents tho. Like how reese witherspoons' character in Walk the Line sang. The whole 'ya'll' thing is appealing.

yay country! :D

aman: i honestly think at some points, my entries are better than my GP essays. so you can guess the standard of my GP :p

ah,one-album-artists! that IS annoying. and how bout bands who keep changing members sampai practically all the original members are gone, save for one? i don't really dig that either.

oh, and ur spot-on about good songs made out of repetitive riffs. I like this song by The Kinks that has repetitions of the same bass and guitar riff throughout practically the whole song. still swesome.

music appreciation. right on,man. heh.

aman23 said...

please la, I believe you're one of the better students of the class! :D

heheh oh yea what happened to Lizzy McGuire? LOL seriously. one album and then she's gone. Lindsay Lohan pun same je. seriously nonsense wei. bank in on TV popularity.

I don't mind much about ever-changing band members, as long as the music produced is good. Depends on the band also la.

Heh yeah, because I find that there's something about the song that keeps it constantly fresh, like the buildup, and then the sudden inclusion of a short guitar solo, or a sudden interlude. that kinda thing. new songs just lack those.

A said...

wakaka,aman! lizzie mcguire, a.k.a hilary duff, just realeased a new album baru2 ni. her third, in fact. kesian die. tak pasal2 kene label a one-album-artist,lol. but ur right about lindsay lohan tho. i think she's too busy..um, in rehab maybe? that or fighting with paris hilton :p

i really should listen to more nirvana. the only song i know from them is the ever so famous 'teen spirit'. gads. must do my research.

Anonymous said...

i just listen.
whatever that my ear approves, i will listen.

maybe i dont have a particular favourite artist.

well, sheila on 7 is an isolated case.

A said...

sheila on 7 rocks. they rock my socks. sheila on 7 is awesome. sheila on 7 are very fantabulous in my books.

u get the picture.