exaggeration and tall tales galore

Friday, November 16, 2007

ok. takpe.

my dad brought home a box of fancy chocolates yesterday, so after tea, me and my brother were jostling over who got to open it and get first pick. i teased my brother, telling him to take the mango truffle choclate coated one, and we were jestering as we usually do, when he suddenly said to me, 'eff you,man.'

he didn't say fuck, he just said eff, and he didn't mean it properly, and immediately after he said sorry, but there you have it. and what's worse, he said it in front of mom, who got royally mad. as much as my sister and i (or i guess me mostly) curse, we restrain from saying it in front of my brother, and we don't curse at people, much less to each other.

swearing. what's in a swear word?my behaviour towards swear words became heck of a lot more liberal once school finished. if before, the worst word i'd dare to blog was darn, now you'd occasionally come across a fuck here and there. i say it when i'm mad, and i try not to say it in front of people, but i slip up sometimes.

to be honest, i don't feel discomforted by it. i'm fine. is that bad? of course, i don't understand why some people go about saying it in every sentence they make, but it's not as if i feel a rush of displeasure or annoyance when i hear it. it's just a word. i don't think that just because i succumb to saying fuck it means that i or anyone else who says it is any less of a person. but i know some people do.

my mom scolded my brother, saying 'what value do you get out of saying it?'. and she's right. there IS no value. none more than the third finger has over the other fingers.

and another thing is, my brother said he learnt to say that in school. which makes perfect sense, because i learnt all the swear words i know in school too. for God's sake, it was my classmates, my girl classmates, mind you, who taught me pukimak, bhuto, pantat. and i said them as well, not because i liked the words or honestly understood it's usage, i just said them because my friends said them so casually, so i figured i had to too. peer pressure yo, pure and simple. and that's what my brother's going through. we know it's wrong, but our friends do it, so it's ok.

how do i do this? how do i protect my brother from everything bad that i know, without a doubt, he'll come across in school? there's no escaping it you know. hantarlah gi mane pon, be it an asrama, daily school, private school, it won't make a difference. there will always be the bad influence.

but ok, enough serious pondering. i have to go mandi. oh, and watch this! i love this. german weatherwoman tak tahan gelak after seeing her colleague come on screen instead of the weather map at first. infectious!

7 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

I was seriously pondering the whole swearing thing then weather girl video completely wiped that off my mind!

She was super infectious!Funny!She was like 'Ooh,didn't see that one coming!' and decided to laugh her way through German weather.Made my day.Thanx!

Peer pressure.Umm thats one nasty bugger.Being inside the circle trying to conform is one thing, but being the one outside,trying to evaluate someone who's caught in the pressure in a whole new story.That is something I don't know how to do.Hee.

Now I'm scared of parenting.

mostlyepiphanies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mostlyepiphanies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aman23 said...

cursing.

I used to be a curseophile (does it even exist? lol) until I realised it sounds really bad.

after that, I changed. but still, occasionally the word slips. usually in groups.

there's nothing good to it. but we just do it. I don't know why.

mostlyepiphanies said...

eh terlebih repetitive comments pulak.Deleted those.sorry!

Aki said...

Uhm.. swearing. Yeah I used to be this swearing machine back in PRIMARY school. Of course all my friends taught me, and I couldn't get by ONE day without swearing. My mom didn't know anything =p

Then in Form 1 I stopped abruptly, probably because I spent so much time with my cousin Sasha who's really nice and innocent and whatever.

I don't swear much AT ALL nowadays. Just an occasional 'damn, darn and shit' here and there. Takes a LOT for me to say 'eff' tho.

You know I think it's good that we know because it makes us not naive when we grow up. Continuous usage is the bad one =p

My brother and I are so close to each other we call each other names. It's our way of being affectionate, so we call each other 'abang giler' and 'adik giler' putossium (mild-affectionate-version-of-bodoh), hampagas and loads of other stuff. My mom caught me doing that one day and scolded me for calling my brother 'giler'.

I didn't defend myself. I think it's just something that parents think they need to do. Because if she didn't tell me off, it's like abandoning her responsibility as a good mother.

And man, that weather woman is SO funny!!!

Your friend's right, I was just putting on this serious thinking mood and her laughing just made me start laughing all the way... And it's a beautiful Saturday morning to boot!! =D

Thanks for the video! I'm spreading the infection.

A said...

aijud:haha, i thought about parenting too!and i was going 'omg, i have no idea how i'm going to asuh my anak2' and all. yeah, well. we'll deal with that when we get to that crossroad.

and i LOVE that weather girl video! glad u like it. i watch it practically everyday and it still cracks me up, especially in the middle of the video when she's trying so hard to stop but just explodes laughing anyway :D

aman: curseophile?haha, don't think so, but we can pretend it exists. i think i found it ok to curse blatantly when i was younger, but as i got older it became clear that constantly peppering sentences with swear words is just idiotic. but still, and ur right because i don't know why, i still do it, albeit a lot less frequently. now cursing is mostly for frustration release rather than casual conversation yea?for me anyways.

aki:haha, yea, primary school were my hardcore swearing days too. isn't that ironic?

continuous usage is bad. casual usage is bad. i used to have juniors at school who would start practically every sentence with 'serious shit' and it drove me crazy.

i think it's very cool u call ur brother hampagas,hahahaha.

spread the laughing infection!! watching someone properly laughing is enough to get me tickled as well. have an awesome saturday! (though i think it must be late afternoon by now kat sane)