exaggeration and tall tales galore

Friday, January 18, 2008

le chien

i have a grudge against the next-door neighbour's dog.

now, if muslims were allowed to touch and care for dogs(and i've heard a few people say that we actually can, but that's a topic of discussion for another day), i think i would opt for a dog over a cat. not to say that cats aren't gorgeous and terrific, but it's just that, well, they can be quite sombong sometimes, and frankly, i get quite put off when i'm coo-ing and expressing my affection towards cleo only to have her turn her head away to face somewhere else, as if she's bored and has lost interest in this human being behaving quite stupidly.

dogs, on the other hand, seem quite eager to please their owners. (wo)man's best friend and all that. i'd want a golden retriever, or a labrador. or that adorably forlorn-looking hush puppies dog.

but i'm going off track here. the neighbour's dog, yes. well, it has the uncanny knack of annoying me, simply because it's enclosure is facing my window directly and it barks me awake. i despise waking up because it's barking it's head off.

technically, i suppose it's not exactly the dog's fault. i'm the one who sleeps in, and it's good la that the dog barks like crazy in the morning, acting as my organic alarm clock every so often. but i can't stand it! it's sort of like how people get all ngilu when you scrape against the table with a plastic ruler, or how you can't sleep when there's a cupboard door creaking repeatedly with the wind.

there was this one time the dog was yapping in the morning round 8 something, and i was furious. i tried to cover my head with the pillow but it didn't work, and i was pissed. i got up from bed and went over to my window, creepy messy hair and all, and stared at the dog(the neighbour has 3 or 4, but only one was making the racket) down below who was barking for what i could see was no apparent reason.

"SHUT UPPPPPPPP!", i yelled, banging on the glass. and this got their attention and they all looked up at me, the banshee melayu, giving them the death glare. alas, i suppose i wasn't scary and assertive enough, because they lost interest after a few seconds and that damn dog started barking again.

this situation may have repeated itself a couple times, with me substituting 'shut up' for "SENYAPLAAAAA!" and "ARRGHHH!". needless to say, it didn't work, and 10 minutes later, a very grumpy banshee stomped downstairs to join her mom for breakfast.

as i type this, the dog in question is barking, which thus prompted this post. i have no idea what it's barking at. birds kot. a few minutes ago, one of the neighbours came out holding a paddle(i think it really is a dog-obedience-paddle) and threatened it to silence, but now it's yapping again, looking for something underneath the car(being on the 2nd floor, i get a good view of their front porch).

someone give me a tranquilizing gun.

6 comments:

Aki said...

Hahaha, I absolutely agree with everything u say bout dogs. I love them too. And my neighbour used to have a dog who wouldn't shut up. It's nice and adorable and everything, but once it starts barking... adoi... I guess the only thing that cats have over dogs is the fact that they can't be that noisy.

I always like the way u tell stories, so funny lah.

A said...

yeah!i guess we could go for one of those somewhat silent dogs, like a chihuahua or something, but i do not believe in dogs that can fit into handbags :p or dogs that paris hilton carries under her armpit.

aww, thanx for the compliment. maybe i can add 'storyteller' to my list of backup occupations. when i get bored of being a librarian, i'll switch jobs and tell stories to kiddies in playschool :D

aman23 said...

lol i cracked up when i read this entry! i can only imagine xD

A said...

lol,it seems funny now. but trust me, it wasn't so amusing back then when the dog woke me up,heh :D

mostlyepiphanies said...

speaking of dogs,Aussies have a thing for dogs.It seems sume orang pun nak ada anjing.

Which,to my chagrin makes me zig zag when I walk in fear of terkena sebab malas samak.hehe!

Dogs are cute, but don't let me start on the drooling types.Killjoy.Did u see the olympus camera ad where the dog makan camera tu? I pity the camera.

A said...

walking zig-zag?hahahaha. i'll probably end up doing that too ;D

i'd never seen the ad before, but i utubed it just now. GROSS!the camera really did get the worse end, haha.