exaggeration and tall tales galore

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Taking off in a Coupe De Ville

i'm super-damn-terrer at wasting time, and i wish i had studied more today, i really do.

of course, it is idiotically idiotic to write(type) a sentence like the above, because if i really had wanted to study more, i'd have done so, wouldn't i?

I read that we lost Pulau Batu Puteh. no shit?

I like looking at good pictures taken by amateur photographers. it's like, 'wow.' i feel a bit a jealous when it seems like they've managed to convey a little bit of their soul into the picture they've taken.

Kings of Leon, people. Kings of Leon. Why in the world don't i listen to them more? they seem pretty awesome. I love Knocked Up. I think it's...beautiful. i don't know. it touches a nerve. well, fine, it touches one of my nerves.

I don't care what nobody says,no, i'm gonna be her lover.

If you read the comments on their videos on youtube, you'd see that the lead singer Caleb's been described as just about everyone. Leonardo Dicaprio. A clean Ozzy Osbourne. Ashton Kutcher with a bad wig. But his voice is pretty amazing. I really dig Charmer! I watched a clip of them playing it live, he pulled the screeching part off perfect, just like the recorded version.

Last week of classes,yo. just need to pull myself together for a couple more weeks. couple more weeks. couple more weeks.

friendships. what's in a friendship that looks good on the surface, but really, you know that it's lukewarm underneath? no,wait. not lukewarm. it's just that we're all fine when we're laughing at something hilarious and taking pictures or giving good-willed comments on facebook, but what about if you're sad, or if i am? would you tell me? would i be there for you? would you just annoy me and make me switch off? would you not trust me to say the right thing? would we be content with one another if we didn't have anything to talk about? can we do comfortable silences? and i wonder, seriously, does the person on the other end realize this and just accepts this lack of depth in our friendship? or do they honestly think all friendships are like this and that it's normal?

In line with my newfound spiritual optimism, i want to turn all my superficial friendships into proper, warm-blooded, deeply-rooted ones. now. how do i go about doing that exactly?

in line with my still-existing pessimism, i don't think it's actually feasible.

or maybe, boleh je have proper friendships, it's just that i've been doing things the wrong way.

Just in case you couldn't take a hint. Nah, saya present kepada awak, Knocked Up. The day i go to my first mat salleh gig, i wish it would be like this.

Baik!i will go study!i will!(exclamation marks used to boost semangat)

7 comments:

Aki said...

Okay, rain check:

'In line with my newfound spiritual optimism, I want to turn all my superficial friendships into proper, warm-blooded, deeply-rooted ones. Now. How do I go about doing that exactly?'

I hope this is just a phase for you or even a product of exam stress, but I shall have you know that this is downright impossible - except in animes.

Optimism is good, but I call myself a realist as well. Some superficial friends should just stay superficial, some of them deserve to stay superficial, and unless you state your range of your superficial friends like below:

x = superficial friends

friendster < x < facebook

I shall assume they are everyone in your life, minus your close friends.

'Out of 10 friends you have, 2 most unexpected ones will backstab you, 7 don't give a shit when you fall, and 1 unexpected one will stay with you through everything.'

I don't think this term comes from no roots at all. Close friends are few and precious for many a good reasons. Because gems (good, reliable, close friends) are meant to be hard to find. If precious gems are so easy to find, it will lose their value. If you have a big fight with your close friends, you will have the mentality, "Oh that's fine, I have 25 more in this town," instead of running to catch them until you're out of breath to tell them you're effing pissed with them but you love them so much your heart can burst. And make up the day/week after.

Also, if you keep the number of close friends you have to a good small number, it makes befriending you all the more special =) Gives your friends a sense of being special too!

I don't know why I'm typing so much for a mere few lines that you typed, but if I see you going through the disappointment of probable failures to convert those superficial friends that do not even deserve your love and attention, I will feel bad for not letting on this piece of information earlier. Of course you get more experience through experiencing it yourself, but a little heads up wouldn't hurt right? ;) You're still free to try.

Close friends take time, effort and energy to maintain. And why do you go through this shit? Because you have firmly planted belief that they are worth it. No signed documents, no contracts, no money - just trust. Now, some superficial friends might be worth it, but the obvious problem is finding them in all the mess of unworthy people. Which is why, like love, I think friendship should just happen. If you're fated, then so be it.

The amount of heartaches and crying and anger that I go through because of my close friends is amazing. But it's worth it, because even though not all of them turn out to be gems (just fakes), at least I found one real one. Or maybe 2 and 3, or more, we'll see.

I guess that's why I categorise my friends into many classes. Basically 3 classes. First one is close friends. Second is people you can go out with and have fun. Third are acquaintances. The 'Hi-Bye' type. Class number 2 has the highest volatility and its members has high potential to move to class 1 or 3.

So if your superficial friends are in class 2, then it's still possible, but not all though. It'd take more that 9 lifetimes to figure them all out.

Uhm...

So that is my honest opinion.

You are free to challenge, agree or ignore =D Since opinions are like assholes anyway, everybody has one.

Peace out, and all the best in life!

Aki said...

Owh, and correction, I meant to say 'reality check' in the beginning ;p

Not rain check. Sheesh.

whilewhiting said...

im super damn terrer too! meh bukak club wasting time kat uni of melbourne nak????

hahah.jk

kenape exclamation mark used to? sekarang cmne???

A said...

aki:

wow. WOW.

ok, first, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to give me the advice, it's fully appreciated, and i read every single word(thrice!) and thought hard about it.

i won't say it was exactly in line with what i was thinking when i wrote the whole sentence about changing my superficial friendships, but sitting here pondering about it(which i've been doing for the past half hour :D), i fully appreciate the relevance and the truth of what you've said.

i know it's not possible to possible to convert all superficial friends into soulmates. i just want to make a little more effort so that even if we don't get past the hi-bye stage, i can say to myself that i really did try. at the moment i feel like some of my friendships are the way they are because i didn't do enough. finding gems among friends is SUPPOSED to be tough and takes effort,betul?well, i feel that i haven't put in that effort.

thank you! A LOT!

anna:start la kelab tu anna! you be president, i'll be secretary :D

hahhaha, anna, aku first2 tak faham what you were asking pasal exclamation mark tu. i meant 'used to' as in 'digunakan'.

"exclamation marks digunakan to boost semangat".

not 'used to' as in the past tense :p

Al said...

i love love love knocked up.i should find a couple synonyms for "love",but damn,i just love that song all 7+ minutes of it.

A said...

haha, i love love love the song too.

if you're stumped for synonyms, you could always use the malay word for it.

i cinta cinta cinta Knocked Up.

ok,ok, i take that back. just using 'love' over and over is better.

Aki said...

Owh, I see =) Then I wish you all the best!

I'm so silly anyway, writing a whole essay based on 2 sentences from you. See now why I will never fail in Sociology but it's also hard for me to get a distinction? Haih.

=p

When your exam habis ye? And then what after that?