exaggeration and tall tales galore

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Small talk


Phuket was:

1. Incredibly hot, with blue skies.

2. A Mat Salleh haven, with everyone walking either shirtless or in their bikinis, positively tanned like roasted chestnuts. I felt so overdressed in comparison.

3. Not wanting to go back to Melbourne.

4. Watching drag queens dance on stage. Some very pretty, other just plain scary, all with better bodies than I'll ever have in this lifetime.

5. Wanting to scratch my eyes out at the sight of topless old ladies and man-boobs. On one hand, I like how they are very comfortable with their bodies and don't give a rat's ass about what other people think, on the other I wanted to screech "WHYYYYY????".


7. Seeing all the massage parlours, with the girls sitting outside. I was morbidly curious to see the sex industry in Phuket. Well, I didn't. The closest I got was seeing a lot of scantily clad girls outside bars and these massage places, with the idea that at least some of them offered 'happy endings'.

8. Spending Chinese New Year there. A lot of food offerings and fire-crackers. Seeing a truckload of lion dancers pass by, banging on their cymbals and drums.

9. Yearning.

10. Eating lunch at a halal restaurant in front of a mosque, hearing the azan and seeing guys in singlets and shorts(quintessential beachwear) drive up on mopeds, park, ambik wuduk, and toss on a jubah or kain batik to do their prayers.

10. A stamp on my passport.

11.Only an hour and a half away.

3 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

Oh phuket sounds fun! It's great that you squeezed in a quick getaway before Melbourne and consequently, classes (all over again)!

whilewhiting said...

wah bestnye g phuket!

Atiqah said...

aijud: I know, my parents were kind enough to plan a vacation for when I was still around. At least I get to start the new semester with fresh memories of beaches and the ocean.

Whilewhiting: agak best jugak lah,heh