exaggeration and tall tales galore

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Arm-looper

Some girls are natural arm-loopers.

You know what I mean, right? The kind that like to loop their arm around yours when you’re out walking somewhere. For them it’s a natural thing, to encircle your arm with theirs and hold on. I think it’s an expression of trust, of familiarity. Sometimes, if you encounter a chronic arm-looper, you may find that they do it to you even when you’re not that well acquainted.  But in essence, people don’t loop arms with someone they don’t like.
For some reason, I am not one of nature’s arm-loopers. In general, I don't think I am quite accustomed to physical acts of affection. Hugging someone more often than not feels contrived, don’t get me started on air-kissing, and the only usual form of physical contact I initiate is restricted to placing a hand around or on someone’s shoulders.

Lately however, I am slightly alarmed to find that I want to loop arms with someone. Actively, positively want to. How bizarre. Can you freak someone out by coming up behind them and then suddenly attacking them with a determined latch onto their arm?

Regardless, I am a very willing arm-loopee, and still feel bursts of gratefulness and warmth when someone does it to me. So come one, come all. Let's loop.

2 comments:

Inaaz said...

ayang! (can i still call u that?) :)you're funny! I love reading your stuff!

Atiqah said...

Inaaz,helloooo! I heard you saw Kakak and Sarah the other day, hope you're doing well :) of course you can still call me that, I am perpetually Ayang to all childhood friends. Thank you for the nice words, I can't believe you still remember my blog!