exaggeration and tall tales galore

Friday, April 18, 2008

i can do the dog-paddle. at least, i think i can.

I'm drowning in Quantitative methods 1. shit.

This is getting serious. Even during lectures(when i'm actually paying attention), i get lost. and it was fine the first few weeks when we were learning more or less stuff that's been done in A-levels, but now that we're venturing into the not-so-familiar, it's a sink-or-swim scenario. and i can't even swim in real life, much less metaphorically, through statistics.

oklah, i can paddle my legs and propel forwards a few millimetres or so. but i'm terrible at swimming with the arms sekali,(freestyle? breaststoke?) where you have to alternate between looking forward and jutting out your mouth at the side to inhale at intervals. When i do that, it's a lose-lose affair. I don't get air, I don't see anything when i look in front(just splashes and flashes of what i assume is the water), and in the end i don't even propel forward.

but wait, we're going off on a tangent here. QM1. The thing is, back at home, we're very much into learning the formulas and applying it to exam questions rather than analysing what we're learning actually means, yea? well, maybe not. but if you had asked me back in college what a variance is actully for, i wouldn't have been able to explain. not in an eloquent, sure-of-myself way, that is. I suppose i'd have gone "variance?um.. that's the one yang measures the spread of the data from the mean, is it? is it? oh, but that's standard deviation. but standard deviation is the square root of variance, so they must be related in that sense somehow."

see? SEE?! I don't even know what a variance is for! and the thing is, it's not that my teacher didn't explain(i'm pretty sure i remember Ms Wong making tremendous effort to try and explain the concept of variance, and the difference between population mean and sample mean, and why you write down the distribution the variance for one of them has to be divided by the number of trials,etc), but when it came down to it, i didnt really need to know it, did i? i mean, it's not as if they asked what a variance is for, in exams they usually just ask you to calculate it. calculation, check. applying calculations? ape?

But one thing about QM1, i like my tutor. she's completely in control of things, and she's really nice. plus, she wears torn jeans and manages to make really big dangly earrings look cool. and there was this one time i came early and she was listening to classical music while prepping for the tute. which somehow seemed pretty cool too.

but coming back to the main topic here, i have GOT to get a grip on quantitative methods. i have to try and wrap my head around coefficient and covariance and correlation(which we learnt in the first couple weeks, and which i still cannot bloody understand what is it actually that they're for), and why is it that you have to add at least 2 standard deviations to the mean when trying to obtain the range of something. APE NI?? my parents did not agree to spend so much money on me to not understand what correlation is.

ooh, sidenote: i've been super tempted to skip QM1 lectures sometimes. i think i've mentioned this before, my lecturer is super nice and grandpa baik-like, but the lectures are so boring, i cannot tahan. half an hour before the lectures end i want to fidget,cry with boredom and sleep all at once. not exactly productive. but me and jia yee did some small calculations(well, jia yee did the laborious task of calculating, i just expressed awe and shock appropriately), so we estimated that in terms of tuition fees, the cost for this first semester spread out over 12 academic weeks comes up to about a grand per week. and so folks, if you're ever thinking of skipping class, repeat this mantra: my parents(or sponsors, for some) did not spend this much money for me to skip class. Repeat. my parents/sponsors did not spend this much money for me to skip class.

say it a few hundred times, and the guilt somehow overcomes the urge to go home and eat something.

sidenote keberapa: why is it that the nickname for William is Bill? perasan tak? if someone's name is william, then close acquaintances call them Bill. like my lecturer. that doesn't make bloody sense. why Bill? why not Will? why choose a nickname that is also used as other people's proper names? unless Bill Gates is actually William Gates.

i'm going to go defrost chicken.

5 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

Aha,I can relate.Turns out there really is a difference between exams and applications in real life!Who would've thought!

I've been struggling hard to understand fluid mechanics. How do I bloody decipher a pump performance curve! Why do I even have to bother understanding it if in real life pump manufacturers actually prepare the curve for you! What does pumps have to do with being a chemical engineer?I thought I'm learning bloody chemistry for pete's sake!

Ah,the joys of venting.I feel much better now.Hehe. And yes, I do get those urges to skip the lectures when they become overwhelming (as if they are not to start with), but the thought of not being able to decipher a pump performance curve scares me. What if someone's life depended on it!

Dramatic much? But I do skip them,occasionally.

And now I have a midsession for this subject next week. I can't even bloody decipher a pump performance curve.

Sigh. I wish I had a chicken to defrost.Just as something to do.

aman23 said...

song that suits your post:

GnR-Welcome to the Jungle :P

well William = Bill is the same like how we call fat people = Bob I guess ;p

A said...

aijud:hahahahaha, what DO pumps have to do with being a chemical engineer? i honestly have no clue. enlighten me, Dean. enlighten me,haha.

vent away!all forms of venting are encouraged here. if dramaticism is needed to counter the urge to skip, so be it. what if someone's life really DID depend on a pump performance curve watchamacallit!

but oh, i have no doubt i'm bound to skip a lecture or two in the future too. but for now it's just a case of saving the inevitably skipped lecture for next week, or the week after.

don't let midsession(sounds so refreshing to say that rather than midsem) blues get you down! defrosting chicken isn't all that great,heh.

aman:
thanx for the GnR recommendation. quite apt!

how about fat girls? nak panggil ape? Bobita?

Chinny said...

my parents didn't pay this much for me to have fun T_T study study!! musssstttt stay back in library everyday!! But then, i enjoy doing that lol

tagged you btw :D

A said...

you stay back at the libary to study or have fun,hah?haha.

a tag,yay!:D