exaggeration and tall tales galore

Thursday, April 10, 2008

les yeux bleu

The reason why i love the Kings of Convenience is because their songs can break your heart.

A song for
Someone who wants somewhere
to long for

-from 'Homesick'-

I was typing my econs essay, and i thought that the plural for 'walkman' was 'walkmen'. thank God for those red lines that appear under mispelled words.

I found myself beating eggs to make french toast the other day, listening to Beirut on my headphones, and i found myself thinking, "i can do this. I can listen to Beirut. I can beat eggs and make french toast. things will be okay. i can do this".

that was supposed be yet another self-obsessed/centered/indulgent analysis, but let's leave it at that.

Listen to Aqualung's Strange and Beautiful. Or if you have, listen to it again.This is another sentimental, slow, bordering mushy song by Aqualung, and the lyrics may teeter towards downright creepy, but there's just something about those opening piano chords that makes you want to close your eyes and let it wash over. whatever that means.

I am trying to keep a tight reign over my cash flows, but it's proving difficult. and do you want to know why? do you want to know my achilles heel in terms of saving money?

Groceries. bloody groceries.

i can't help it. i have a weakness when it comes to groceries. i want that spaghetti sauce. I must get that jar of stir fry, who knows when i'll need it to make dinner? Give me the box of crackers, i can eat with tuna if i get hungry and need a snack. speaking of tuna, better grab a couple cans, so i can make sandwiches to bring to uni. What about cereal? my cornflakes are almost finished, better get another box. cheerios ok?yea, cheerios are good. milk? i still have a carton, so that should be enough. i only need it for cereal or if i cook scrambled eggs. ooh, i should make an omlette with the eggs. for that i need mushrooms! where's the mushroom aisle?

and it just goes on and on and on. and i am perfectly content to wander lazily around the aisles, reading the back of jars, comparing prices, and mentally planning out the week's menu. Pop on headphones, and it becomes a thoroughly enjoyable activity.

i have class in 45 minutes. And i'm going to brunswick today to get meat. and it looks like it may rain. Listening to Strange and Beautiful, it seems like i'll be able to get through the day, and maybe have an enjoyable time while doing it.

I'll wear my sneakers today.

4 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

Yes!Groceries too tend to be my weakness when it comes to spending.I shouldn't have to be guilty for wanting to feed myself, but then when the total pops up at the register I can't help but feel like I burned my pockets.

Gone are the days when I used to sneak pricey/seemingly unnecessary tidbits into the trolley when mum used to pay for groceries.

Now I miss mum.

A said...

i know i know! kalau dulu if i followed mom to giant, boleh campak masuk into the trolley chips ke, or a pack of chocolate chip cookies.

now?it's all about restraint, dude. (no, i DO NOT need that, put it back on the shelf!!)

i miss my mom too. aisy.

Aki said...

First, I LOVE Kings of Convenience, especially addicted to 'Live Long'. And 'Cayman Islands'. Feels like they're taking you there with their soothing voices and guitar...

Second, I'm a monster when it comes to groceries as well. My receipt is always long and in the end I end up in trouble, trying to finish all the fruits and veges before they rot in the overstuffed fridge.

I've gotten better now, though =p I just got back from Tesco's and guess what I bought? Only milk, ginger and a bundle of clementines!

I'm so proud of myself ^-^

(Not to say the temptation wasn't there).

A said...

yessssss!their songs are just sublime. macam betul2 meresap into your ears, and it's beautifully real. ok, bad explanation, but you get it.

haha, i SO do that. be over-ambitious with groceris.

but yes, you SHOULD be proud of yourself!the temptation was there, but you overcame it. good on you! haha