exaggeration and tall tales galore

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Adoi

hi.

my wallet got stolen.

ok,ok. I say stolen, but who knows. Maybe I was dumb enough to have accidentally dropped it somewhere without realizing it. But anyway. My wallet's gone.

Don't worry. I didn't freak out and have a meltdown. It went pretty ok, actually. Even while I tried looking around for it in the store, I realized it was already gone and that I'd have to start calling up the bank, get my student id replaced, call up the OSHC people. Oh, and figure out how to get my malaysian ic replaced.

I went home in a sort of disoriented daze, trying to remember what else was in my wallet, and contemplate the irony of how I managed to lose my it just after withdrawing cash from the ATM.

Ok, despite me being all zen-like and accepting, I think this incident deserves at least one whole-hearted profanity.

MANGKUK AYUN.

So I got home, called up the bank, cooked dinner, and proceeded to systematically stuff myself. I'd eat more, but I'm pretty full. Give me comfort food, people.

Kelly was a real sweetheart though, offering full support and an invitation to treat me to dinner. Thanks Kelly, if you're reading this! I might have to take up your offer for help on wednesday, I think I need to borrow some cash to buy the tram ticket to get to Malaysian Hall for raya.

Oh, woe. I sound pathetic.

Kelly was indignant on my behalf, cursing the person who may have pick-pocketed my wallet to "selalu sakit perut". And I had to chuckle at that, but at the same time I was contemplating her words. She fully blamed the perpetrator of the incident, and while I had conjured up anger for whoever it was that may have taken my purse, it was more a passing thought. To be honest, I kind of took the whole thing as an incident inflicted by God Himself onto me. I was not so much a victim of someone's crime as the recipient of a direct prodding from Allah.While I was walking around the store for the umpteenth time to look for the thing, I think at some point I was murmuring to Him, "I can't believe this. Don't do this to me".

Here's what I think He was trying to teach or test me: it's so much more easier to love someone when everything goes right, someone here being God and Islam in general. I am happily excited to say my thanks and accept my faith when everything's going smoothly and I have nothing to pit against my belief that everything will be a-okay if I do my prayers and fast properly and remember to ask for protection for me and my family. But when something happens to screw things up, it's so much harder to swallow your anger and have faith that things happen for a reason.

If I'm going to repent and be a properly decent being, I'm going to have to learn to love beyond expecting good things in return.

sorry. Open pondering on an open blog. I waste cyberspace, I know. Anyway. It's all okay. It's not as if I got cancer or anything. In the grand scheme of things, a wallet is nothing.

In better news, I got this beautiful leather satchel bag from Camberwell market today! I love it, it's like a small briefcase I can sling around. I was so excited about it I wore it immediately, and therefore unfortunately, this is the same bag that my wallet was in when it was stolen. So, like I told kakak melodramatically over the phone just now, this beautiful bag will forever be tinged with the bittersweet memory of my loss wallet. But I'm going to wear this bag until it's all battered and falling apart, so if anything, this whole shebang only adds to its rustic charm and history.

And in even happier news, I'm going to be the very first person to wish D. I. R. S. a very merry happy awesomely amazing 20th birthdaaaaaaaay!
The ever glamourous Diyana

Have an amazing birthday, saudari. First one abroad, make it spectacular. You're smart, kind, brilliantly funny, and are everything someone could look for in a friend. I heart you lots.

Selamat Hari Raya and Maaf Zahir Batin semua.

9 comments:

whilewhiting said...

since you dont really need malaysian id here, you can postpone making another id when you got back. bcause you already got your passport as a international id. and check your license maybe. or if you rajin,make a police report. or i should say, just make a police report. with the report, you wont have to pay 20 bucks (i think) to renew the student id. and maybe keep the police report to do the ic when you go back home.

i probably have no comforting words right now. but from what i read, you seemed to have come to terms with it. or at least trying to.

but anyways. selamat puasa and raya.

Anonymous said...

well, your brain must be tired because of fasting hence the dissipated attention span i presume?

sad to hear this, on a day like this usually i have no motivation to get through plus true on the part when u remembered God immediately.
but u soldierd on and tahts good to hear.

Nevertheless, cheer up! Aidilfitri is near. I hope you dont lost THAT much money.

Salam Aidilfitri and desole if i did anything wrong unto you.

Kero Ong said...

my wallet got stolen recently too ): but i don't mind that much because i was broke and i don't carry any personal identification... omg what's wrong with me. isn't it normal for people to carry their ic with them hahahaha.

*gives hugs*

selamat hari raya! i'm only looking forward coz it's a one week holiday for me la :P not that it makes alot of difference because i don't go to school much anyway.

your friend... has awesome hair

Anonymous said...

Heyya Mate!

Greetings from Manchester. Wohoo!~

Kero ong : Thanks. I miss my sailormoon hair though. It rawks! =P

Atiqah : OMG OMG!! Thank you so much. I'm so touched! (Imagining me giving you a big hug)You're the first among my friends to wish me happy birthday.

Saya sayang awk. Awak adalah seorang kawan yang baik juga. Selamat hari raya!

Anonymous said...

mangkuk ayun is a profanity?

"swinging bowl"?

am i missing something here? :p

-yang tak reti cakap bm

Atiqah said...

anna: thanks for the advice. I didn't make a police report, but I didn't have to pay for a new sudent id, woot!something about the student center not charging yet ke ape tah. i think i'll wait till I get back home nanti to deal with my ic. at least this gives me the opportunity to take a nicer photo for my ic than the atrocity that it was before,haha.

last day puasa, wheeee!

nani:haha, that would be a nice explanation. but i think it was more due to the fact i was too engrossed looking around stores, thus neglecting the normal practices of ensuring bag security.

I didn't lose a horrifying amount of cash, but nevertheless, a dent on the wallet(or lack of) is always a sore thing, especially for a student! no worries though, it's not as if i'll have to take out a subprime mortgage or be swallowed by the financial crisis ke ape,hahaha. ok, lawak bodoh. sorry.

selamat hari rayaaaa! maaf zahir batin jugak.

kero:no kidding!aiyo. the season of stolen wallets. and going against the convention of carrying id around paid off,haha. you didn't lose it!

enjoy the holiday!and how come you don't go to school much?!lucky.

diyana:hello machesterian(manchesterite? manchesterner?haha. what's the correct term ah?)

you're welcome!(gives another eye-popping squeeze of a hug to Diyana Izzati). i hope your birthday was a good one. selamat hari raya and maaf zahir batin!

you-no-speaka-malay: it's a watered down profanity in my books(and a lot of fun to say!). ayun means 'swing' ah? not throw ke ape?

-yang tak reti cakap bm jugak

Aki said...

Whoah purple hair.

I'm sorry you lost your wallet. And I think Mangkuk Ayun in caps is perfectly fitting.

Kero Ong said...

i don't go to school much because.. i.. don't want to? hahaha. my mom doesn't really mind la because i mostly do my own studying. most of the time. anyway i'm switching schools next year, to a private school.

my auntie just got her bag snatched! haiyo. everybody is getting stuff stolen from them. malangnyer..

Atiqah said...

aki: purple hair rocks! you should have seen diyana on that day, walking around college and trying to act nonchalantly.

kero:kesian your auntie! :( that must have been a horrible experience.