exaggeration and tall tales galore

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Penanda Buku Kayu Yang Ada Kepala Kucing

hello, my lovelies.

Bright and sunny this morning.25th day of Ramadan. I am perusing through a number of homemade craft ideas sites, in search of something easy and cheap to make do as souvenirs for this small event I'm helping out with. The thing is, what on earth can you give as an event favor that's cheap but at the same time won't be discarded thoughtlessly by the recipients? I've seen my parents and also myself receive a fair share of useless, space-wasting party souvenirs that were promptly binned, sometimes(but rarely) with a slight tinge of guilt-sorry to the people that took the time to buy and give me said souvenir, but really. Rather than some paper weight/ ugly vase/clock whose hands have flopped over, couldn't you have just given me a decent chocolate bar instead? or something practical, like a mechanical pencil. yeah).

So we're meeting up today to discuss the event, and I plan to courageously champion the idea of giving everyone these wooden bookmarks I found at Vic Market the other day. Wait!wait! bookmark ni lawa, betul! and think about it, it's useful, it's cheap(a dollar each), and it's something that's in a sense not flimsy. would you rather receive some floppy handmade card/ornament or a very pretty wooden bookmark? But I'm looking up craft ideas anyway, just in case they reject the idea and I'm left to slunk to a corner cradling my beautiful wooden bookmark in my trembling hands. haih.

sorry, had to let out that trivial worry out here.

Anyway, guess what! On the 23rd of September, I loped down to Borders and guess what? GUESS WHAT?
Seorang human racoon hodoh memegang cakera padat Only By The Night oleh Kings of Leon.

Yeah,man! It was out and beautifully displayed on the new cds rack. but wait, it gets more beatific. All the copies of the album on the new releases rack were retail priced at $26.95, yea? So I grabbed one of those, but I had to call Aina up first, and while I was talking to her I was absent-mindedly browsing around the regular cd racks. That was when I saw the copy I'm holding up in the picture. $15.95! Bloody hell, we're talking about a new cd on the first day of release here! It was the only one on the regular racks, and it was certainly the only one with a Great Price sticker on it. I couldn't believe it. Even after I bought it and was walking home, I kept thinking there must have been some catch. Maybe it's rosak. Maybe it's some sort of single, not the full album. But no, it's fine, it's perfect! So the only way I can explain this is either Borders was being selectively baik hati, pricing one or a few of the new cds with this promo price, or maybe someone just mistakenly put the sticker on that copy. Either way, excuse me while I punch the air with my fists and whoop over my good fortune.

Anyway, on to the album. I religiously refrained(sungguh sesuai dengan bulan ramadan. I remember snippets of the definition of puasa from agama class back in high school, ie: menahan diri daripada makan minum dan memasukkan sesuatu ke dalam rongga terbuka daripada terbit fajar hingga matahari terbenam. something along those lines) from reading reviews of the cd (except for Al's, I think), to avoid any undue influence(I am shamefully quite easily swayed by reviews). While refraining from reading a review of a particular cd can't exactly be considered a part of fasting, it does accord nicely with the underlying theme of 'menahan diri', no? ok, maybe not.

I won't bother elaborate much, but it suffices to say, I like the album. A lot. And the interesting thing is, if you ask me to pick out which is the best out of this album, Because of The Times and Aha Shake Heartbreak (I should get Youth and Young Manhood), I think I'd be a bit stumped.
Notable songs: Use Somebody, Manhattan, Revelry(it has that lovely dreamy quality with appropriate backup vocals that reminds a lot of Trunk and The Runner from the previous album), I Want You, Cold Desert. Sex on Fire is good too, but the dreadful video sort of marred it for me. However, it's still pretty damn good.

I use too many words in a sentence.

ok. I have to go. I hope the bookmark thing works out. how can it not?!

2 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

The penanda buku is a practical idea! And practical is great in my books.

And you definitely got a deal on the cd didn't you! Luckeeeeeee!

Enjoy your break!

Atiqah said...

yay!i got the thumbs up from the committee leader, woot!now harap2 everyone else sees that it's practical too.

good bargains always give me happy shivers :D

thanks aijud, and selamat hari raya!