exaggeration and tall tales galore

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Scenes from an airport

We take that long drive to the airport. I check in,we go for a drink at Oldtown, and I find it oddly fitting, considering that the first meal I had when I got back was at that very same place. We chit-chat over menial stuff, then it's time to go, so they walk me over to the departure gate and as each of them hugs me in turn, I wonder if I'm going to fall apart but nothing happens and I manage to crack a joke and make my parents laugh, which in turn makes me laugh. I show the attendant my boarding pass and my passport, and I get on the escalator, on which I turn to face my family and start waving and doing the salam malaysia gesture, until they're out of sight.

Then I get through passport control and am walking towards the departure lounge, and as I do so I get pinpricks behind my eyes but nothing dramatic, so I sit down, take out a book, and stare into space. I map out the series of events that will happen once I land. I will get through customs, get a cab, get to the apartment, beep myself in, unlock the door and wheel my huge-ass luggage through the doorway. I will proceed to my room, dump my stuff, and crash onto bed. Then, I decide, the most logical thing to do would be to crumple up into a ball and cry my heart out. Sounds like a decent itinerary.

Later on when we're allowed into the waiting room for the actual departure gate, I properly read the book, occasionally glancing around to take in my surroundings. There's a girl with long, gorgeous, healthy-looking hair, and I mentally compare it to my own tresses, which I've just cut and can't decide whether it looks pretty cute or like the hairdo of a failed anchorwoman. There's a cute toddler sitting on his dad's lap, but he's on the verge of tears, occasionally letting out a cry, and I'm just thinking whether he will become one of those Toddlers That Drive You Crazy With Their Crying On A Plane and woe befall those who sit near him, when I suddenly become aware that the guy sitting next to me is sniffling. I thought he was a guy, but judging by the sound of his sniffles, it sounds like a girl. I don't mean to intrude, but I was deeply curious to whether it was indeed a boy or girl, so I try to sneak a sideways glance at him, which didn't really help, because he/she looks like a girl, but would a girl have manly sideburns?

We're being called to board now, and everyone scrambles to get in line, which I don't understand, since our seats are pre-assigned anyway, so I wait for a bit, and so does the girl/boy next to me, still sniffling. It is obvious she/he is still crying, and I wonder why. As I get up to make my way to the door, I'm tempted to offer an "Are you okay?" to him/her, but I know that if it were me I'd rather be left alone, so I just walk ahead without looking.

3 comments:

Aki said...

Safe trip!

Only Kye said...

that's always awkward. seeing someone cry. i did that once, instinctively acknowledging that 'yes, i see you crying' and i blurted, "are you ok?"

and she shook her head and said, "no" and walked away. so i wonder to what purpose is asking.. i dunno, it depends on the person i guess.

and yea, the airport departure. i feel like saying, a lot of people are probably jealous of people studying overseas-- i used to be too. but no matter how fun things are across the seas, there's a unique loneliness of being far away from 'home' that probably justifies the whole 'musafir' prayers being answered thing.

but there you go! carpe diem Ayang, maybe I'll see you in summer if you come back and we can trade 'foreigner' stories.

Atiqah said...

thanks aki. It was a safe and uneventful trip, save for the tricky task of making sure I didn't fall asleep and slump onto the passengers on either side of me.

kye,if I were the one crying, my first impression is that I'd rather be left alone to avoid confronting the embarrassment that would occur should a person inquire into my state of being. To see me cry and pretend not to notice is one thing, to actually tegur me would mean I would have to acknowledge that I'm bawling in public noticeably.

On the other hand, the idea that someone would actually take the time to voice out a note of concern, even though it will not likely be of much proper help nor solve my problem,the kindness of that act, is somehow very comforting. I think you were very nice(and gutsy) for asking.