exaggeration and tall tales galore

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Peripheral vision

Whenever I load stapler bullets into a stapler, I like to pretend I'm some sort of secret agent doing nifty spy work with some sort of spy mechanism, like loading a super-important microchip into a specialized carrier to be transported back to headquarters, or maybe just loading a bullet into a gun. But now that I think about it, I haven't done that in quite a while. Does that mean I'm growing up? Losing my inner-child. Golly.

It's hard to name favourite songs, but one that has secured a place as one of my favourites ever is The Killers' When You Were Young. You can love a song, and then you can love a song, and it's the latter for me with this one. I don't know why it resonates with me so distinctively, but when I listen to it it's like I'm listening to heartbreak and sadness and anger and disappointed hopes all wrapped up in a tide of something, I don't know what.


I got a new phone that comes with a qwerty keypad, and I can't help but feel slightly douchebag-ey. It's a phone meant for business professionals who need to email constantly on the run. I am not a business professional nor do I need to email constantly on the run. I'm using the phone to check my email which is usually made up of tickemaster or ticketek newsletters and facebook notifications. Why would I need a phone with a qwerty keypad?

My Kellogs are back with me, giving me a heady sense of relief. What would I do without them?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did he/she/they give you the new phone in the first place? Maybe they're hoping that someday you'll be a business professional who need to email constantly on the run

Atiqah said...

Well, if seen from that angle, I gave the phone to myself(at least, I chose it from my network provider's phone options),and if I think about it, I DO hope I'll be a business professional someday. So you're right.

Don't worry, I wouldn't be so crass as to ungratefully question a gift someone presented to me. I'm a self-indulgent arse, but not THAT much of an arse.