exaggeration and tall tales galore

Monday, March 15, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

I can see you
Your brown skin shining in the sun
You got your hair slicked back and those wayfarers on, baby
And I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
After the boys of summer have gone.


The Boys Of Summer is the shiznit. I’ll always have a special place in my heart for the original version by Don Henley (eighties pop, whoo!), but the version in my head and blasting in my ears now is The Ataris’ cover, which I like because it makes me want to sing along at the top of my lungs and dance crazy, with splayed jazz fingers, head-banging, and the works.

As of late I tend to daydream about books. I look wistfully at the titles in the library or bookstore and find myself wishing I was a more intellectual reader, and a more serious one. I imagine reading obscure books that can’t be found on the bestsellers list, and I have an intense desire to be reading philosophical books. Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Freud. I want to have read something by Vonnegut, and have the enthusiasm to actually finish a classic (it took willpower to complete Great Expectations, and I couldn’t even finish Emma). What about feminist prose? The Female Eunuch. And poetry. I wish I read (and appreciated) poetry. But it seems my desire to be reading all these things hasn’t translated into finding the book and actually reading it. Therefore perhaps this is just an expression of pretentiousness. And why is it my book daydreams are all about English books? So....poyo(clearly the best way to describe it). Oh well. Hopefully I’ll be induced to read such books at some stage sooner or later. Until then I’ll be content with Agatha Christie novels and Nick Hornby.

I love the fact that my siblings are avid readers. My sister has excellent taste in fiction and is notoriously good at picking out books that I like (whenever I choose a book for myself it almost always sucks) and occasionally looks for books that can’t be found back home. My brother is the sort that always brings at least 3 books whenever we go on vacation and will sneakily stay up past his bedtime to read. I don’t read half as much as they do, of course, so they’re always nagging me to read something or the other, advice which I will occasionally listen to (and be grateful when I do).

Tak sabarnya nak breakfast esok. I love breakfast.

p/s: Hi Miss Salmi! If you're reading. Hope you're doing well.

3 comments:

Lisa Sulaiman said...

Hey! Sometimes I feel like reading more serious books too. And I love breakfast =D

mostlyepiphanies said...

I love nick hornby! Haha. I finished A Long Way Down recently. I want to read high fidelity!

Yeah I kinda get what you mean. I wish I appreciated classics too. I just couldn't get through Pride and Prejudice and the likes(and we all know how i feel about 'to kill a mockingbird' haha).Oh well! Maybe one day.I have The Great Gatsby and Great Expectations dusting on my shelf. I want to (want to) read J.D. Salinger though. Perhaps later once I graduate, during the menganggur phase!

Hope you are well, chica!

A said...

Lisa, I think based on those two points alone, we could get along great, haha :D

Aijud,did you like A Long Way Down? I thought is was ok the first time I read it, but then I read it again and suddenly liked it so much better. and High Fidelity's one of my favourites! I really dig the movie too.

Maybe someday(hopefully soon) we'll both have this epiphany that transforms us into classical book enthusiasts as well as overall maniacal readers. And then we'll read everything. EVERYTHING, I say!

Hope you're well as well, mon ami :)