exaggeration and tall tales galore

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spastic dancing

Anjakan paradigma!

I hate speaking up in tutorials. The nerves,man. Stuttering and stumbling over words, forgetting basic sentence structure, the shaking hands, the trembling voice, the thudding heartbeat. You'd think that that one time I won a story-telling competition for my age category hosted by Ribena and held at Cheras Leisure Mall when I was small would have cured the heebie-jeebies. But no,I am loath to participate in class discussion. Perhaps it's the topic matter, perhaps it's the lack of understanding, maybe it's the language barrier (e.g:in french class, I usually spend half the time staring blankly at my teacher, and the other half staring at my book so she wouldn't call on me to try and answer her question because I have nearly no idea what she asked me to do in the first place), maybe it's the self-esteem.

But, I have endeavored in the past week to try and change this. I contributed! Trembling as I did so, I admit, but still. I am trying to overcome the shaking hands. Award self 2 effort points.

I have now established a rule. If we're going to be friends, you're going to have to love this song and have the ability to do some crazy spastic eighties dancing to it. It's either spastic dancing or we can't be friends.

Award self 2 giving-ridiculous-ultimatums points.

I hardly ever actually use the word 'cheers' when speaking.

I wish there was club, a nightclub, that played spastic-dancing music(maybe there already is. Someone take me there!). My dream play list would include 1901 and Lisztomania by Phoenix, Boys of Summer by The Ataris, Keep the Car Running by Arcade Fire, My Party by Kings of Leon, No Tomorrow by Orson, I Feel it All by Feist. The dress code would be comfort chic, high heels would be forbidden(allowing spastic dancing in heels is just hazardous and a lawsuit waiting to happen), people are expected to wear something comfortable that makes them feel good. Water would be provided for free, and there would be ample dancing space, a HUGE dancefloor. There would be no epileptic inducing lights, and plenty of seats. Doors would open early, none of that only after 10pm business.

My sister mercilessly tormented me with stories of how bloody awesome Kings of Convenience were at their gig in KL. I was metaphorically sobbing with jealousy at one point, but it's ok. I know I'll get my chance to see them someday. I am fated to meet Erlend Oye. And he is fated to hear me scream at him adoringly. It's our destiny.

Be happy, snickerdoodles.

4 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

yaaaaay for spastic dancing music! I want to add 'I don't feel like dancin' to the list, can?

It's been a while since I've heard walking on sunshine! Now I'll keep your page open while I play this on repeat so I can bob my head and do crazy hands while I breeze through some journals!!

kelly said...

I LOVE THAT SONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
JOM, LET'S FIND THAT CLUB
okay turning of caps lock now.
but yes, JOMMMMM :)))
it would be sooo much funn!!!

Lisa Sulaiman said...

Wow haha, That destiny thing sounds serious!

Atiqah said...

aijud, yes!all spastic-dancing song contributions are welcome! The more the better. Scissor Sisters, bobbing heads, and crazy hands,ftw :D

kelly,YES LET'S GO AND WE CAN DANCE ALL CRAZY! And spastic dancing music means the chances of seeing anyone grinding (ewwww) are nil.

lisa, it is fated! I was watching Slumdog Millionaire again, and was inspired by that last part where Jamal said to Latika that it was their destiny to be together. So it's like that with Erlend Oye and I. e\Except without the slum. Or the millions. Or dogs. and I suppose we won't be together, it'll just be unrequited love on my part.

but still.