exaggeration and tall tales galore

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Drowning my sorrows in kpop and chocolate milk

I just got back from a trip to Central Australia.

I thought about some things there, though not much. It was snatches of ideas and a bit of contemplation, the mind was thankfully occupied by bus trips and hikes, cold temperatures and kind, funny people.

I want to describe it all, but I have this tendency of skipping event-reporting in favour of other, more frivolous topics. Anyway, let's get some documentation going.

The colours we saw were amazing.

There was a day of blue, blue, BLUE skies, without a single cloud at all, and it made me think of mom, because she always likes a blue sky.

The colour of that red dirt out in the bush is really something. It is a rich, earthy red and brown, and it slides through your fingers and gets into your shoes and contrasts against the sky so vividly, there really is nothing like it.

The sunsets. I've always appreciated how Melbourne sunsets are different from those back home, but out where we were it was a whole new level, streaks of yellow orange and purple and magenta and blue that was beautiful. While watching a sunset at Uluru I was more busy taking pictures of the skyline than of the rock itself.

I saw the most stars I'd ever seen in a night sky out there, probably almost every single constellation. It was a sight that made me think about God, if only for a bit.

...

I have some serious reflection to do at the moment, and I don't want to do it, I'd rather watch kpop videos and drink another carton of chocolate milk, but I have to. At some points my temper flares up in the face of these circumstances and I have this urge to inflict emotional pain, I want to say "fuck you" to something or someone, using the words in all it's full-flavoured hate, and watch that person or thing shrivel up and die inside.

But those urges die quickly, and mostly I realize something's wrong here and I need to work things out.

I need to work things out.

Ceh, gila melodramatic aku ni.

3 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

Ateqs!! I missed you in Melbourne! Just got back to Sydney on Tuesday evening, Anna said you were on a trip to Uluru!! Maybe next time?

Oh I heard its beautiful!! I'd love to see pictures!!!

Al said...

I hope you do work things out,but if not,I imagine its a journey for all of us,an ongoing pain with no visible exit,either way,art & writing & all these beautiful things are here for us to express the inexpressible :)

Atiqah said...

aijud, I'm so sorry I couldn't catch you before you went back! Definitely got some pictures(I took about 15 pictures just of the rock itself, in various shades of sunlight -_-), will hopefully put some up. I hope your interview went well!

al, I find solace in beautiful things, but sometimes I get mad, because expressing the inexpressible hasn't provided much besides temporary relief, much like the relief you get when you confess to someone you did something wrong. It doesn't stop me from repeating my failures, it highlights my inadequacies, it makes me wallow in indulgent regret, or foolishness.

But I only get mad sometimes, and I'll continue to find solace in them. Hope you're doing well :)