exaggeration and tall tales galore

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Feel

I really wanted to talk to someone after I got out of there! Almost immediately after I left, I started chuckling, I was giggling, and I felt infuriated at the same time, it was ridiculous and therefore funny. It was realistic and disillusioning and expected. How disappointing, how shatteringly funny.

I came out onto the street bursting to talk to someone, I wanted to have someone beside me to whom I could explode and voice out all my thoughts, the kind of conversation that would involve crazy hand gestures, high-pitched, incredulous exclamations, some slight hopping up and down, a genuine disregard for what the people around me might make of this lunatic I'd become. I wanted to be animated, I wanted someone in front of me to bear witness to this, I couldn't remember the last time I had so forceful an opinion I just had to make clear to someone, just for the sake of sharing this experience.

It felt like I'd been in a coma, being kept alive on feigned nonchalance, feigned interest, and feigned surprise, the mundane monotony of trying to match circumstances with the socially correct stock of reactions. Express suitable level of awe here, try to pass off friendly response there, attempt politeness, nod in understanding.

How silly. How sad.

But I didn't talk to anyone, and by the time I was sitting in the tram to go home, the last vestiges of the feeling were draining out, as I rested my head against the window.

You know what else I've been thinking? I've been hoping I'd be able to write something beautiful. If I can write something beautiful, something that draws you in, something that distracts you from your current happiness/sadness/indifference, something that feels like the silence that rings in your ears before you fall off the precipice.

I think I'd be happy if I could do that.

The usage of profanity when writing and also inside my head has been increasing, it worries even me.

4 comments:

youchiyagami said...

You said you got out of where?

A said...

I didn't.

I got out of the zoo. A karate class. A match-making agency. A Viking convention. The tip of Borneo. Anywhere in the world.

Lisa Sulaiman said...

It doesn't have to be beautiful in whatever high standard way you have in your head. My friends rarely update their blogs anymore, so sometimes I read yours (sorry dah lama tak baca, been busy). I'm feeling down, so down in the dumps, but reading your 'bad poem' your random musings, the crazy stuff you spurt out at top speed distracts me from my sadness, even for just a bit. But like always, they come back so soon.

A said...

It sucks to feel down and I'm truly sorry you're going through it. I wish I could help, but I haven't figured out how to deal with my own sadness, much less anyone else's, so I can't do much but sincerely sympathize and hope that whatever it is causing this feeling passes by soon.

If anything, you made MY day by saying that the things I write here distract you, if only for a little bit. It was really nice of you to say that,thank you :) I'll be transmitting good vibes for you from here down under, maybe it will help the sadness go away and not come back so soon the next time.