exaggeration and tall tales galore

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Just about as much right as pigs have to fly

Having never read the original Alice In Wonderland before, when I came across it while trying to look for something to read in the library(useless fact #967:It takes me ages to choose a book to read. Indecisiveness is the new procrastination), I grabbed it with my grubby fingers and went off.

It somehow annoys me when people say that Lewis Carroll must have been doing LSD when writing the book, even when in jest, simply because it seems to imply no sane, sober person could have crazy awesome imagination. I may be arriving at this conclusion belatedly, but I think I love this book! Caterpillars smoking hookah pipes, babies that turn into pigs, grinning disappearing cats, a mouse that takes offense easily. The dialogue of the characters, the weirdness of it all. The Disney movie was always a favourite, but the book is more eccentric, disturbingly so at times. And Alice is different, she is ridiculous and likeable and she argues with herself and overall I quite like her. I don't know if I would have liked the book as a child, but I do now. I wonder if Jijim's read it.

It helps that the copy I've borrowed is an old, small, almost pocket-sized version, with yellowed pages and the apparently original illustrations by John Tenniel. It doesn't say when it was published, and the book's been rebounded by the library, so the cover's completely blank except for the title and author printed on the spine. It adds to the experience of reading it, I think.

Anyway. Have a nice Sunday.

No comments: