exaggeration and tall tales galore

Saturday, March 03, 2007

a box of secrets



It started with the magnetic mini-notice board mom bought me from ikea. It's finally up above my table, mr.Lo (the handyman) came over and drilled all the necessary holes and whatnot to put it up. I had stuck a list of maths formulae and a couple of pictures on it, but besides that, it was pretty bare. so last night i spent some time rummaging around the room for things to decorate my board with.

That was when i suddenly remembered the box that i keep in my bedside table cupboard. It's been ages since i looked through it. So i went and took it out, set it on my bed, and started going through the contents. The box is an old shoebox from when my mom bought her sneakers(circa 1997 or 1998, i think). I swiped the box from my mom mase tu and started storing everything i considered 'important' in it. I still do.

Practically every birthday card i've received is in there. Letters sent to me from friends. Letters i wrote but never sent. Every diary i've had since stadard 3. Pictures that mean something to me. Emails from special friends i had printed out, because i loved them so much and so i printed and brought them to asrama to me, since we didn't have much chance of going online there. My form 4 results slip. A few messages i got from those request thingies we had at school. My sekolah rendah nametags. My tunas puteri badge. My gigi susu(yeah, i kept 3 of them in a jewellery case. weird,yes). The speech i had to give out during sekolah rendah as KP sempena the retirement our my Guru Besar. My standard 6 choral speaking poem.

To say that this box is valuable to me would be an understatement.

So i spent my time going through eveything again, one by one. Ahah, it was bloody fun and sad at the same time. Seeing these things make you recollect and reminisce and think about what has happened since the moment you put it in the box. I found a card someone had sent me via post for my birthday, and i practically gasped, because i had completely forgotten about it. and yet there it was. That card brought back memories of me being happy as a clam when i received it, happy because that particular person had sent it.

I reread my old diaries, and some parts made me laugh out loud in disbelief at my childishness and immaturity. I was melodaramatic even when i was 9. I used code names for my crushes, and now i can't even remember who they really were. In my standard 5 diary, i wrote about my classmates and gossiped about who liked who and penned(or tried to) poems and mispelled dozens of words,plus, my writing was still atrocious. I reread in my first diary the fact that my very first email was created on january 6th,1999, and my password was 'diary', while the answer for the question in case i forgot my password was 'pistachio almond'.

And then there were the things that made me sad. My exam results during form 4 that showed that i still wasn't getting a grip on add maths or physics. The birthday card from someone who signed it as 'your best friend', and then a year later wasn't. The letters i wrote to my imaginary friend during form 2(i couldn't have had imaginary conversations, that would have just freaked everyone out, so i wrote letters) that talked about me feeling depressed and sad, and just wanting to bail out.

I reread all my diaries, and i've come to a conclusion. Our insecurities stay the same. Over the years we might change and mature or develope a different personality from when we were younger, but i think the things that make us insecure, the core of our sadness, remains the same. All of my past diaries, and even the journal i own now, have the same underlying theme when it comes to the sad parts.

When you read the wrtings of your younger self, you can't help but feel affection for the person she was and exasperation at the mistakes she's done, and you feel heart-breakingly sad for the problems she's going through and the insecurities she has. sometimes you want to reach out in time and knock some sense into her head and stop her from doing something stupid, and sometimes you just want to hug her and wipe her tears and tell her it's going to be ok, because you know that no one else will.

This box holds proof that i was happy or sad at some point in my life. If there's a fire (God forbid), i'm going to save it first,heh.

On a different note, i'm reading kazuo ishiguro's 'never let me go'. brilliant! reminds me of 'the giver'. as for music, for anyone who trusts my taste, i highly recommend 'illegal tender' by the band Louis XIV, and also 'look after you' by the fray.

Happy March!if i recall correctly, this is the month of a lot of birthdays.

9 comments:

whilewhiting said...

salam ateqs.
you know what i have these things called crappy little important things which is somewhat similar to your box content. but i put it berpsepah2. so sometimes when i kemas the order of my room room, i willl end up bumping into some little memories i left behind and it was fun. hmm, maybe you're right. we are all the same person all along regardless how big we have grown and how mature we think we are. the inside us, is still the same with the one in us 10 years ago. at least i feel that way. yikes..

oh well, i went to great ocean road yesterday. it was extraordinaryly great.! i'll post the pictures within days. hehehe

Only Kye said...

i like that. the core of our sadness remains the same. its true. in every confident-seeming 21 year old possibly still lurks the skinny 7 year old who hugged walls and feared rejection.

Anonymous said...

i found contrasts here..
here's d list:

1) i NEVER wrote diary even one.

2)i NEVER keep any sweet or important thing properly like wut u did.

3) noe wut? koleksi sijil2---> aku ske tgk mende ni.. hehe

b4 i went thru interviews 4 scholars, the best part of the process b4 went thru d interview is---> menyelak kembali sijil2 anda dgn senyuman smpai telinge.

ade cm bau2 bangge cmpor bongkak but i can't help to like d habit.

nice post ateqs.

-juwa-

A said...

hi anna, ooh,i like the sound of that. kemas2 barang and inadvertantly bumping into some old memories. yeah, i think that inside, we're still the same person. we've just grown taller and stopped being so openly whiny, heh.

great ocean road?how lovely!!put up the pics,yah?

kye, exactly my point. insecurity continues to haunt us, no matter how much we've grown up or changed. i'm not that scared of things like butterflies or creepy movies anymore, but i still get an anxiety attack if someone thinks i'm not adequate,or if someone seems to undermine me.

juwa, no diary at all?why?!tak pernah berminat untuk menulis fikiran? tapi yeah la, i also like looking at past sijils. adela jugak bukti kite ni qualified enough to have wakil our school at some point,heh.

aman23 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aman23 said...

deleted the previous comment after I realised I was contradicting myself lol :p

hey atiqah! didn't expect to see you at my blog. shall I link you up? =)

btw I like the idea that you have a box of memories, I used to have a 'drawer of memories' but I cleared it already. now it's 'drawer of recent memories' heh.

amazing how things change when you really look back on 'em, eh.

A said...

hi aman, as a matter of fact, i've been reading ur blog for quite some time now. i only just gathered the guts to comment on a post,heh.

yea la, things can sometimes be completely different when u look back on them. there are tons of times where i reread old posts in diaries and wonder what in the world was i thinking of or how i could have ever acted that way.

feel free to link me up! :D i'll do the same,yah?

mostlyepiphanies said...

ateqs!!
Sorry ive been slow with comments.Couldnt find a right time to just sit down and read ur entries.

Things been pretty busy lately with the classes getting into full steam,which means 'study or ul get sent back'--shivers.

Anyways,i'll get back to this blog later okay,till then,keep em coming!!

Love the color change.Change is good.Definitely.

A said...

hi aijud, no problem, i figured you'd be busy. hope everything's going ok over there. study baik2!as much as it'd be nice to see u again, i don't want you to get sent back so early because u didn't study enough :p heh. as if THAT(u not studying enough) could ever happen!