exaggeration and tall tales galore

Monday, September 01, 2008

Sparkly

Two things:

1. This morning, after sahur, i decided to go back to sleep.

I'm volunteering at some amusement park for kids. somehow i end up on this helicopter ride designed to go around really fast and pretend to crash so that we'd get a feel of what people in helicopter crashes face. so we take off and i'm aware that my dad's in the helicopter as well. The helicopter swoops around like mad, i'm enjoying it like any roller-coaster,feeling the contents of my stomach swirl around. Then we crash, and we crash into water. the sea, or a huge lake. i panic, but then remind myself this is all part of the ride. water starts gushing in and apprehension swoops in. any minute,now, i tell myself. any minute the helicopter will jolt and shoot out of the water. I can feel the water coming into the chopper fast and realize that perhaps that isn't going to happen. The water gushes in and now i'm trapped in a small enclosed space between the helicopter roof, i suppose, and the water. I pace myself, try to take steady breaths, but even then i can feel my heartbeat quickening and my steady inhale exhale motions becoming gasps. Then something happens, maybe the water's filled up over my head. I become aware that I might die. I close my eyes, and I lose my mind or surrender to this ill-fated ride, I can't tell. But I keep my eyes closed, feel all this horribleness twist in my head and suddenly I realize I'm in bed. My eyes are closed because I'm still asleep, and this is all just a bad dream. At first I'm not quite sure, and I'm cautious about it because I don't want to give myself false hope. but then I feel my pillow under my head, and my quilt covering my shoulders, so it's all good. I'm not dying after all.

Pointless retelling. But that acute feeling of relief is something i'd like to jot down and remember.

2. Today while I was transferring my laundry from the washing machine to the drier, i zoned out for a moment, only to look down and see i was re-transferring my clothes from the drier back to the washing machine.

Bonus point: It took me long enough, but I've just noticed that I really really really like Feist's video for I Feel It All. It looks/sounds/feels so carefree.

I'd rather be baking a cake than doing my homework. but i don't have a mixer, and assignments seem to be very important.

8 comments:

mostlyepiphanies said...

I, for one, sometimes find myself caught in the same situation as your number 2. When that happens, I laugh, wonder how the heck that particular scheme of events could have possibly taken place somewhat outside my control and try hard to remember what I actually planned on doing in the first place.

I to would rather like to bake something, but what to do. Hee.

Al said...

with willpower,anything is possible.

now go get that mixer,you were meant to do this.

:p

Anonymous said...

haha,..velly the funny one number 2. ,,, dry cleanning aah??

Kero Ong said...

hand whisk! it gives you wrist-muscles OOO:

Atiqah said...

aijud: haha, it's good to know i'm not the only one. funny how the mind and the body drift apart sometimes. there was this one time i stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom trying to take my contact lenses out, when i suddenly remembered i was there to put them IN, not take them out. i was poking my eyeball pointlessly.

come here, and we'll have a baking feast :D paling kurang pun, buat kek batik,haha. no mixer needed.

al: hear,hear! i believe it's in my destiny to bake. first stop cakes and muffins, then kuih talam, seri muka and beyond,haha.

syefik: yea la. can start my own dry cleaning business :p

Atiqah said...

kero: Hahahaha, i thought about that! beating egg and sugar together until fluffy would be just about the only workout i'd get :p but then the idea of beating egg whites until peaks formed freaked me out. i tried doing it once by hand at home, never got anywhere near a peak,heh.

but who knows? desperation to avoid homework may give the extra strength needed.

aman23 said...

atikus!

selamat berpuasa :)

Atiqah said...

aww, thanx aman(i'm itching to say 'aman kemaman', for no particular reason). happy fasting to you too!