exaggeration and tall tales galore

Thursday, January 21, 2010

I was Fat Charlie

I am just an extra body at the office today, so let’s talk (i.e. read my time-wasting writings). Fair warning: This is an overly-extensive and rambling narration of my day yesterday.

I wake up late as usual.

It takes me two hours to get to the office. I become like all those other drivers who look as if life has been sucked out of them via traffic jam Dementors. On the way I encounter some kid (yes, suddenly all P drivers are kids even though they are only about a couple years younger than me) who won’t let me get into a lane, thus making me angry to a point I am driven to flash a finger at him (don’t worry, I don’t normally do this, and he could only have seen it if there had been an amazing coincidence between him glancing into his rearview mirror and me sticking my finger out). I notice that my teeth and jaw have subconsciously lock into gritting position.

I get to the office, inquire where I’m suppose to go, and find out the client’s place is right smack in the middle of KL. I google map the place, get directions, and choose a route that’s supposed to get me there in 20 minutes. Sprint highway, Duta highway, Jalan Duta, Jalan Kuching, Jalan Sultan Ismail. Easy enough.

40 minutes later, I find that I’ve ended up at Batu Caves. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

I am a horrible, horrible navigator.

*Cerita selitan: After I was done mapping out my route, I started packing up my stuff to go, and that’s when I noticed the right corner of my laptop bagpack was wet. My water bottle had miraculously uncapped and spilt quarter of its contents. Awesome.

I finally get to the place, park, struggle with my things, sign in at reception, and make my way up. I do some menial work, go have lunch with two people who speak a different language, then I have to transfer my stuff to a different part of the office. I walk with my senior, in front of me is some guy talking to a salesperson. He starts walking away, while still talking to the salesperson, and bumps into me, treading heavily on my foot. I hold out a hand to steady him, and say sorry (even though it was his fault!). The fucker doesn’t apologize nor does he acknowledge mine.

I spend the rest of the day holed up in a room, trying to match interest rates to bank contracts. I screw up a few times, miss a couple of obvious points in front of my senior, and generally feel like an incapable twat.

Work finally comes to an end, I’m let off, and I start walking back the carpark. On the way there I pass a Starbucks and make a beeline for the counter to get a ridiculously priced but fantastic-tasting frappuccino. It is a waste of money, but it has been a trying day and I cannot deny that once I’ve drunk a dark mocha frappuccino, I tend to have a stupid grin on my face for at least an hour afterwards. I suppose it’s the whole combination of coffee and chocolate, it stimulates happy hormones.

I pay the ridiculous sum for my drink, go to pay for my parking ticket at the machine, and discover that I have spent the major chunk of my small change on the frappuccino bertuah and don’t have enough left to pay for the ticket. MANGKUK AY-

No matter! The frappuccino begins to work its magic and I cheerfully disregard this mishap and go to a handy ATM nearby to withdraw.

I cross the deserted carpark towards my car(casting a weary eye around, of course. The combination of a silent carpark, newspaper stories and an active imagination keeps me adequately vigilant, hopefully).

I drive off, and try to figure out how to get back. By that time, it’s getting dark, I see the bright lights of the city, I see what are presumably tourists walking around, I sing along to the radio, and generally all is well with the world (I told, you frappuccinos are magical). I end up using the Sungai Besi way to get home. I drive, I drive, I miss the exit heading to Puchong. I drive, I drive, and reach the turning to the lumba kuda roundabout, see congestion, impulsively decide to drive pass. I miss another turning, there is no u-turn, and somehow I end up in Bangi.

BANGI???

I am a horrible, stubborn navigator. BANGI?

I desperately turn back, follow all signs to Puchong, get led onto a different highway, waste petrol and toll money, and finally end up at that familiar stretch of road in front of IOI mall. I follow the familiar road, get to the correct residential area, wave to the security guard who lifts the divider up for me, and reach home.

Home to kickass Mom-cooked bayam masak sup and udang masak sambal. All is well.

8 comments:

whilewhiting said...

traffic jam dementors? wicked. ive been on harry potter runaway so it kinda resonates to me very well.

oh well, we are have navigation bad hair day. another interesting story told. :)

Chipsmiley said...

Ateqs... Ak pon fail bab navigator kalo drive kat msia neh.. Hehe.N ak sgt menympah ngn driver yg kedekut nk bg ak msk lane pdhl ak dh lma bg signal nk msuk.kedekut gle~Nway, Ko Intern ke skang nie?cmne nk cntct ko ateqs?

mostlyepiphanies said...

As far as I can recall, the most interesting and challenging part of my internship last year was looking for different places around bangi/putrajaya to have lunch escapades with fellow intern buddies!

I hope this case of bad day is one-off, as well as few and far between!

I love the traffic jam dementors reference too! As a perennial car passenger, even then its draining. Imagine driving!

kelly said...

i haven't (and tak berani) drive out of shah alam. 'nuff said.
those places can masuk into 'places iv driven to before'
:P

Aki said...

Tell me about it. When I was doing internship I had to drive around places to get to conferences and get reports on it (and I'm REALLY bad at directions and navigation). So there was this one obscure golf club, and I went with a senior colleague who claimed that he knew the way.

He didn't. And we spent 3 hours driving in my car (on my petrol) and when we got there, the conference was over.

He belanja-ed me lunch (he's got the sense to, I'm a real monster when I'm hungry) and got information from people around.

In the end, food saves the day =)

Aki said...

oh, and traffic jam dementors? brilliant!

Atiqah said...

whilewhiting: But some people are really good with navigation! Like aina, for instance.

Harry potter runaway? Noice :D

Chipsmiley: HI! APA KHABAR?!! Sorry tak contact, agak sibuk lah skarang ni. Ye, aku intern :( Nanti aku pass number malaysia aku kat ko, ok? Aku msg kat facebook.

aijud:Haha, lunch escapades, indeed. I hope this bad day was a one-off as well.

Kelly: Hahaha, ey, Shah Alam is a pretty scary place to drive too,ok, it's big and all seksyen-ny and senang sesat jugak.

Aki: Itulah, orang yang tak pandai navigate is one thing, but people who tak pandai navigate but are convinced that they can are even more dangerous! Nasib baik dia belanje you lunch. Food can counteract annoyance quite well :P

Atiqah said...

Oh wait, everyone, the credits for the traffic jam Dementors thingie goes to my sister! I was complaining to her about how depressing traffic jams are, and she mentioned the Dementor reference in Harry Potter about how they affect muggles too, etc. So yeah. I have her to thank for it.