exaggeration and tall tales galore

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Grown-ups

Hi.

I feel like I want to vomit out words, but strangely can't construct my thoughts as my fingers lightly brush the keyboard, awaiting orders.

Part of me wants to join the mad rush for the job search. Go to information sessions! Find out who's hiring international students! Do I need PR? Hurry up, Ayang, it's time to grow up. It's time to be a grown-up. It's time to know what to do.

Part of me sneaks glances at the faces around me in the theater, all attentive and ambitious, go-getter faces, asking questions, reassuringly confident with their abilities. I feel like a kid attending a grown-up event.At a friend's place I watch as my newly-made acquaintances talk about future plans and career paths, job options and bonds with sponsors, a million and one abbreviations and acronyms. These are people my age, and yet I feel infinitely childish compared to them, I don't know where I'm going, I don't know what I'm doing.

Part me just sits back and watches. I know it would be effective to start scouting around now, but this part of me is defiant. I have played it by the textbook so far-got decent grades, got into uni, not flunk anything, did the internship. Can I buck convention this time? I imagine my relatives asking me what I plan to do after this and me stubbornly sticking out my chin and saying "I haven't thought about it yet". And when they start giving me advice, what company I should join, what accreditation I should get, I'll cut in and say "Actually kan, I want to be a go-go dancer. Accounting is no longer my calling".

Some part of me has conceded that I am not terribly smart, not as smart as I thought I was anyway(oh, the perasan-ness), and part of me is fully aware that I am still a social retard. Another part of me has maintained a sense of vanity or conviction, I'm not sure, that I have something to offer employers, that I CAN do a good job, even if I don't know what that job is yet.

All this talk of jobs and future options. Tutors and lecturers and information session coordinators are encouraging us to ask them things we want to know about their profession or field of lecture, each time they extend this offer I want to go up and ask them "Are you happy?". And I don't mean this cynically at all, I genuinely want to know. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with the happiness factor, why I am so scared or certain work means being unhappy. Is it because my dad seemed so unhappy with his? I was talking with an acquaintance I met while I was in Canberra doing my passport, and somehow I actually blurted out the question, I asked him if he was happy with his job at the bank. He considered my question carefully before answering, that was nice of him.

I know I'm making everything sound like a downer, but it's all good, in a way. Having to think about this fork in the road, it brings up questions and it makes me second-guess myself, but not necessarily negatively. Maybe thinking about growing up is in itself part of growing up?

Confession. That scene in Fight Club where Marla says the reason why she goes to support group meetings is because when people think you're dying, they actually listen to you, instead of just waiting for their turn to speak, remember that? I'm pretty sure I do this sometimes, I don't listen. Sometimes I'm in a conversation,saying something, and I realize I haven't been attentive of my companion, that I keep drawing the conversation back to myself. I realize that, and then feel obnoxious as the words come out of my mouth.

Second confession. Sometimes, when I'm out and don't have my journal on me but suddenly have the urge to write things down, I end up scribbling on the back of receipts. I have this daydream of accidentally leaving one of the receipts in some public area(usually the library) and have someone find it and read it and not think it's stupid. And anytime I find folded up paper left on the tables in the library, I open it up hoping it would be something similar, written by someone else. It's a very Postsecret fantasy, I admit.

Oklah, nak kena pergi siapkan kerja rumah. I managed to vomit out quite a few words after all.

11 comments:

whilewhiting said...

i feel you. i feel like in the middle of rat race. n i just dont favour the idea of hunting for jobs that you dont even really like ++


already assignments? gl!

Al said...

i was always disinterested in those career events.they sugarcoat & seduce,the reality of any job & workplace can be different from how its perceived by an outsider,and I concur,are you happy?,sounds like a fair but very confrontational question to ask someone about their job.alas,everyone has a different journey,and uh,helena bonham c was so perfect in that movie.

youchiyagami said...

"people spend about 75% of their adult wake time doing work-related activities" -Ken Blanchard-

You're smart. For wanting to ask 'are you happy?'.

A particular someone took the plunge after considering a lot of things but personal fulfillment. And paid dearly ever since.

Don't make the same mistake. Be selfish on this one.

Ignore the mad rush for job search. Don't worry about growing up just yet. Remember 'Emperor's New Cloth' by Hans Christian Anderson, it's the child who first pointed out that the emperor is naked. If being a child is what it takes to see through illusions, so be it. What's so great about being grown-ups, anyway?

"Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened" -Terry Pratchett-

Your dongsaeng said...

being a grown-up, sometimes makes your live harder. People force you to wake up and see the really world around you that you will be looking at for the rest of your life. But, what we can do right?? I am sure you will find a path that will lead you to a happy ending.

And, about your daydream of accidentally leaving behind a note of your writing, I wish I would really experience it...

Atiqah said...

whilewhiting, hear hear! It feels like a rat race indeed, all frantic and in scurrying mode.yeah, dah dapat my first assignment for taxation law, aigoo.

al,I don't know if I'm disinterested or am just to much of a lazy arse to make an effort, but yet, I feel guilty whenever I miss one, like I've done something foolish.

Anyway, yes, Helena Bonham Carter (I like saying her name, similar to how I like saying Julian Casablancas) was the cat's pajamas, I thought she was brilliant in it.

youchiyagami, now almost every time I think about work prospects, 'be selfish on this one' echoes in my head. I don't know if I can afford to be selfish, or if it's a good thing, but it makes me consider what I want, rather than just focus on what seems like the logical next step, so thanks for that.

dongsaeng! as your hallyu-victimized unnie/noona, I was delighted to get a comment with a korean reference in it, so kamsahamnida :) Anyway, I think happy endings are myths, but it was very nice of you to say so, your optimism comforts me.

Do you mean that you would want to read my receipts? :D That makes me embarrassingly happy, for some reason.

Anonymous said...

you have a journal. like a legit, written journal?very cool!

on the note of the post:

i ask this question myself each time too, but what the hell, i'm put into this path, might as well find out why.

A said...

It's legit enough, I believe(hope). I write and have a tendency of pasting things in it.

I might as well find out what I'm doing on this path too. Onwards!

syefik said...

I used to have these thoughts when I was deciding whether or not to continue my bachelor's degree in accounting. i Still do now, but not as much as before. Im just following the flow, i may say.

Talking about Happiness. I find this one quote very invectious and deep, in which is repeatedyly aired every morning on Red.fm (radio).

People always think that they will be happy only when they have graduated, get a job, get married,and the list goes on. But the truth is such desire and wants will never be satisfied as we go through problems along the way. and Next, we look forward to retire, or maybe devorce, only then will we be happy?

If we feel unhappy now, what could possibly make us happy in the future? We may never know what lies in the future, it may turn good or otherwise.

"Happineess is not something that we set as a goal in the future, it is about how we accept ourselves and surroundings today".
- it's all in the mind.

I once spoken to your mum about happiness. And she did say that one has to accept himself and adapt to the surroundings. We should make changes to ourselves for happiness to happen. We should not expect anything else to change or wait for happiness to come. Because things may not go the way we imagine it to be.

Having heard these opinions. I realised that I have been putting up so much faith in the future to be Happy. I dont want my younger days to be remembered as sorrow. Therefore i am doing the best I can to change the way I think, and my perception towards happiness.

I think we should enjoy life while we still can. Especially when we are still young, and when responsibilities are at very minimal. Go out travelling, Karaoke, join scicieties,and do some activities with friends. I think we need balance in life.

So cousin, lets together make a change. Bring happiness today :)

syefik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
syefik said...

corrections:

... quote very infectious and deep.
...repeatedly aired.

A said...

My mom said that? I miss my mom.

I like that quote from red though, I think it's very true. The infinite 'dapat betis nak peha' scenario.

I want to be happy now. Do you think I can change?

Anyway, your comment was so calm and rational,it was comforting. I'll need to have a serious conversation with you sometime, you can help me straighten out the mess in my head.