exaggeration and tall tales galore

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cookies

I've never had a casual job before.

Can you imagine? Never worked as a waitress, never an attendant at the neighbourhood Petronas station, or a cashier at Giant. I didn't work an iota in the 3 months waiting for my SPM results, and when I got to Melbourne, I did get working rights attached with my visa, but didn't actually work. Oy.

If I ever have a children, once they've completed their SPM (or whatever variation the public examination would have morphed into by then), I'll give them a month tops to chill, and then will proceed to drag them kicking and screaming if I have to to the nearest Secret Recipe (I don't know, for some reason I automatically think of Secret Recipe when I think of post-SPM employment).

And when the children look at me in puzzlement and ask why I insist on them getting a job, I will tell them they will thank me years down the line when they are compiling their first resume and see that the working experience they have is not limited to a solitary internship they did in their second year of uni. And they will proceed to further throw rose petals at my feet when they are trying to get a gig as a waiter/waitress in a foreign country and realise that most of the offerings comes with a requirement of previous experience.

Anyway.

Yesterday I had this one-day job involving mailing work. My first sort of casual work in any form, and it was easy, if repetitive. Thoughts gathered throughout the day:

  1. I actually dig repetitive work. It's sort of meditative, much like that serenity experienced when folding a baking mixture (God, I love doing that).
  2. I was getting paid a rather ridiculously large sum for the sort of work I was doing, if I thought about it.
  3. I was working in what I think now of as the 'lawyers area', and couldn't help feel excited that the other people in the exchange I was delivering letters in were all barristers or law clerks. How cool are you people? Or why am I attaching such coolness with you?
  4. By the end of the day I was so tired I couldn't think straight. How could easy work become tiring? And it was cold. And I was hungry. But I got paid. Cha-ching.


Fell asleep at nine, woke up at ten in the morning and let out a yelp of delight when I saw Kelly had made a whole tin-full of chocolate chip cookies. That I now can't stop eating.

No comments: